where we've been and where we're going

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Airline Travails

(June 2nd and 3rd....I'll label these for a while until I catch up with myself in time.)

After landing in Atlanta post-Italy, Darick and I drove through the night to Saint Louis to be with family on the week of his brother's wedding. Dane and Megan were married on Friday night, the night before my flight. Because of short notice, I had to add a leg to my original flight from Atlanta to Paris, so I now was flying St. Louis to Atlanta to DC to Paris. I wasn't looking forward to it.

So after dancing until around 11, Darick and I drove the hour from Potosi to St. Louis, stayed the night with Aunt Tootsie (about 3 1/2 hours worth) and then Darick took me to the airport.

I was tired, but not exhausted. However, I landed in Atlanta, picked up my luggage so that I could re-check in for my international flight....only to find that the travel agent had not ticketed it, and my reservation was cancelled. No flight for me from Atlanta to Paris. Granted, we paid for one, but it didn't exist. The details are still sketchy, and I'm not sure how it happened, but it did. So after a few emergency phone calls that were of little help, and one panicked call to Dr. Davis in Paris, I booked myself a brand-new ticket for that day. It was outrageously expensive. Luckily I'll be reimbursed. So after dealing with all of that, I was pooped. Flew ATL to Miami, and had to walk to kingdom come because they're renovating the entire Miami airport, and then take a terribly uncomfortable flight from Miami to Paris.

Post landing, it was morning in Paris, so to get myself on the new time schedule I had to stay up the whole day. And when I arrived at the student dorms where I'd be staying (le foyer), I couldn't check in because the lady at the desk was having a Parisian 2-hour lunch. I was crabby, clearly. But a few of us had croque-madames for dinner, and I went to bed a little early, and everything felt a little better. After all, I was in Paris.

No comments: